Monday, June 22, 2009

Being A Pack Rat

All my life I have had a hard time getting rid of things. Last week I finally threw away the feather pillow I have had since I was three years old. I wasn't using it, it was just taking up space on my bed with some other pillows. Years ago I left it at a motel in North Platte, Nebraska. On our trip back through I stopped and picked it up. It had been stored where there was lots of cigarette smoke, so it smelled terrible. When the covers wore out, I would make another one. The original mattress ticking was long gone. So I threw a part of me away last week. One thing I do have is my Great Grandma Effie Bird Crawley's vintage aprons that she made long ago. I probably have about ten or so. She made her meager little living out of selling these aprons. She was a widow for many years. When I found these aprons when I was cleaning out my grandparents Daley's home, I found them in a drawer, all starched and in tissue paper, ready to be sold, or given to someone.




2 comments:

jb said...

My grandma used to wear aprons like that whenever she cooked ~ she was in the kitchen ALL THE TIME!
I get into waves of decluttering. What's really hard for me to let go of s my little ones newborn clothes. After the 3 month mark I dont care much but the tiny stuff I haven't been able to part with.

Nana & Papa of 16 said...

Hey Missy, what happened to your anniversary blot???? I loved, loved, loved, that wedding picture!