Sunday, April 19, 2009

DEATH AGAIN---CANCER I HATE YOU!

My dad, Donald Rasmussen passed away yesterday in St. George, Utah from complications of radiation treatment for jaw cancer. He had lost a lot of weight and had a hard time eating since the treatments had burned his throat, etc. Joel and I brought the three granddaughters here to St. George for spring break. All they want to do was swim. It was kind of cold here, but they swam anyway. We went to visit dad on Friday and he was sleeping, and looked horrible. He looked like he was a death camp survivor. The next morning we went to check on him again, and when we turned the corner his home had tons of cars there. I knew that something horrible was going on. My brother Don had come down that morning so see dad and went he arrived he had already died. It was a shock, as he did not appear to be close to death. He was suffering, so it was a blessing that his life had come to an end. Maybe dad somehow choose to leave when most of the family had gathered there for spring break.......

There will be a visitation in St.George Thursday night, with a funeral on Saturday in Orem, Utah. Dad was born in Provo, Utah and spent most of his life there,until he retired to St. George 20 years ago. He worked many years at Geneva Steel.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can hear the violins in the background...as sharon sings her martyr song

Kristine said...

Sharon! I am so sad for you. I think that it is great you were there for him at this time. Let me know if you need anything. Love ya!

Kira said...

Oh, Sharon, I am so sorry! As if you hadn't dealt with enough this year. I am so sorry for your loss.

Ashleigh said...

It's crazy how much death has occurred in our family these past few years. I haven't had death in my life since I was little and now that I am older, it's a different experience that brings so much change. People really do leave an impact on our lives for good and bad. Grandpa left a lot of good in this world and we will miss everything about him!

And don’t you love getting rude anonymous comments? I love it when they have bad grammar and punctuation. It lessens the blow because they are not even educated enough to write a complete, solid sentence. I also love the peep counter because it exposes their anonymous façade… there is no such thing as anonymous with technology.

Rach said...

Oh Sharon... I am so sad to see this post! I am so glad you were able to spend time with your father before his passing, how priceless! My hart aches for you and your family. All of my love to all of you! {{HUGS}}

Sherry said...

I am so shocked by 'Anonymous's' comment! Who says things like that!?
My heart goes out to you and your family Sharon. Cancer does suck. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. Its just ugly to watch. And sickening to think people actually have to endure it.
My Dad died last April of cancer. He had it everywhere. When you know someone who has it, you seem to live it right along with them. And its so not fun, and its so not fair to anyone. But-- what a relief to see them out of pain and such misery. Death really is a blessing in some instance's.
Do hang in there. It has been said that time does heal all wounds. I'm guessing we're about to find out just how true that is.

Take Care
Sherry Larsen Woodard