Friday, September 07, 2012

Why I am (gasp) Democrat

I know that I am the small minority in Utah County who will admit that they are a Democrat.  This is why I am:

My grandfather (who helped raise me after my parent divorced when I was five years old) was a bridge builder and worked for American Bridge.  He was working on the Oakland Bay Bridge and he fell from the top deck to the bottom deck and landed on his arms and knees.  He survived with many broken bones.  He took a medical retirement from American Bridge  and went to work at Geneva Steel.  My father also worked at Geneva Steel.  Men who worked hard labor joined unions.  Usually if you were a laborer and joined a union, you were a Democrat.  All of my family members were Democrats.

My grandfather Jake Daley was also a Catholic.  So I have a Catholic heritage as well.  He did not go to school past the 8th grade and lived in Chicago.  His family was dirt poor.  He made something of his life.  He gave me a comfortable life while I was growing up and living in his house.  He worshiped the same God that I worshiped.    After doing his genealogy and learning about his family, I realized that he had a horrible life growing up.  I am not going to go into the details, but the details are not good.  He was a humble man who never talked about his trials or his family.   

Years ago the majority of the Mormons were Democrat.  Many have joined other parties since then.  But I still hold the working man values of the Democratic Party.  Hard work is everything. 

Infighting and bickering party against party is damaging to the American dream.  There is too much fighting going on now.  I get all kinds of unkind remarks made to me because of my political leaning.  For those who do not like it, get over it.  I am allowed my voice and my American opinion.    And please do not be surprised that you no longer see me at the local church.............You all have worn me out.

No comments: