Tuesday, March 08, 2011

LENT

Lent is a forty-day period before Easter. It begins on Ash Wednesday. We skip Sundays when we count the forty days, because Sundays commemorate the Resurrection. Lent begins on 9 March 2011 and ends on 23 April 2011, which is the day before Easter.  Lent is a season of soul-searching and repentance. It is a season for reflection and taking stock.  Because Sunday is the day of the Resurrection, we skip over Sundays when we calculate the length of Lent. Therefore, in the Western Church, Lent always begins on Ash Wednesday, the seventh Wednesday before Easter. 

Lent in 2011 will start on Wednesday, the 9th of March and will continue for 46 days until Saturday, the 23rd of April.  It starts the day after Marti Gras.

I have a Mormon friend who observes Lent.  She gives up something she really, really loves, or has a nasty craving for.  Chocolate, sugar, swearing, whatever.

We were talking about observing Lent at work.  I think I might observe it this year, and give up something that I really, really love, that is bad for me:

 

No cheating, no sneaking, just give it and be truthful about it.  Tell me what you think.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Sharon! The first few days will suck, and oh, the headache, but you can do it! I started Lent early this year and have been junk food free since Feb. 1.

Ashleigh said...

Good luck Mom!

Nana & Papa of 16 said...

Sharon I've given up coke so many times it's not funny! I went without a coke for 11 years and then started working in accounts services at the hospital...BORING! I started drinking just a little coke to help me stay more alert. At first it tasted so nasty I thought how did I drink that stuff? But then one day I took a drink and thought, Oh, Oh, I'm in trouble, it tastes really good. I need to give it up again. I have faith in you, you can do it girl friend!

whinning white girl said...

Sharon, You are such a strong person! I sit here daily and watch you go without your beloved coke. While we all drink our favorite beverages at lunch you just stick to that plain old water. Keep you the good work and when your 40 days of virgin coke mouth is up i will be your huckleberry.
Love ya, Kim